Teeth whitening is a must for most people nowadays. A whiter smile can improve your mood, boost your self-esteem, and help you leave a lasting, positive impression on the people you meet. Though many people attempt to whiten their teeth at home, only your Birmingham, AL dentist can provide the best results using the utmost caution and skill. Cook Family Dental’s safe and effective teeth whitening treatments can make your smile selfie-ready in a flash.
DIY Teeth Whitening Trends and Their Risks
In recent years, do-it-yourself teeth whitening has skyrocketed in popularity. From the ancient folk remedy of oil pulling to activated charcoal and store-bought whitening trays, people seem to be willing to try anything to achieve a brighter smile. Do-it-yourself teeth whitening can be dangerous for several reasons, especially if not done properly.
- Activated charcoal – Activated charcoal absorbs stains and toxins, but it’s too abrasive to use on teeth. Charcoal toothpaste is becoming more and more popular, but be sure only to use toothpaste with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice is a dangerous do-it-yourself teeth whitener because it is extremely acidic. Applying something this acidic directly to your teeth can cause irreversible enamel loss.
- Oil pulling – Oil pulling is a folk remedy believed to whiten teeth and remove toxins from your body. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. Oil pulling can cause tooth sensitivity and jaw soreness, and accidentally swallowing the oil can cause digestive discomfort.
- Peroxide and baking soda – Yes, peroxide and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are teeth whitening agents, but this does not mean they are safe to use directly on your teeth. Peroxide and sodium bicarbonate are chemicals that can irritate your gums, damage your teeth, and inflame your mouth’s soft tissues if applied directly. Instead, opt for an ADA-approved whitening toothpaste with these ingredients.
- Over-the-counter whitening trays – People often purchase generic over-the-counter teeth whitening trays, hoping to achieve five-star results. However, only custom dental-grade whitening trays can give you the full and even coloration you desire. Store-bought whitening trays also contain more highly concentrated chemicals that can cause gum irritation and tooth sensitivity.
Teeth Whitening at Cook Family Dental in Birmingham, AL
Only trained dental professionals have the knowledge, skill, and materials to safely whiten your smile. Our teeth whitening experts at Cook Family Dental can provide you with personalized treatment to yield fast, reliable, and long-lasting results. Your teeth will thank you for putting them in the caring hands of Dr. Cook and our team at Cook Family Dental. Please call us at (205) 326-6384 to schedule an appointment at our Birmingham, AL dental office.