As the world continues to grapple with the COVID-19 pandemic, many people remain unable to visit their dentists on a regular schedule. Dentists across America canceled routine dental appointments that were scheduled from mid-March to late-April or later, and patients are looking to reschedule their cleanings and exams for later into 2020.
If you, too, are unable to visit your dentist or have concerns about caring for your teeth when preventive dental care is temporarily unavailable, never fear—you can still protect your smile while at home.
At-Home Dental Care in Birmingham, AL
You should take care of your teeth 365 days a year, but good oral hygiene is especially crucial during an outbreak like the coronavirus. Your oral health and bodily health are linked, so by keeping your smile healthy, you protect the rest of your wellbeing as well.
To keep your teeth healthy during COVID-19 and while you can’t see your Birmingham dentist, make sure you:
- Avoid eating or drinking too much sugar
- Minimize snacking throughout the day
- Floss once per day, every day
- Replace your toothbrush regularly, and replace it immediately if you or a family member has been ill
- Brush your teeth gently and with soft bristles to avoid receding your gums
- Use proper tools such as scissors, knives, or nail clippers rather than using your teeth for inappropriate tasks like opening bags or biting a nail
- Wear a mouthguard if you’re going to play sports or get vigorous exercise
- Drink plenty of water with and between your meals
- Chew sugarless gum throughout the day to discourage snacking and increase saliva production
- Don’t wait to get emergency dental care if you have a broken, chipped, infected, or knocked-out tooth
Schedule An Upcoming Dentist Appointment in Birmingham
We are eager to see our patients again and will resume treatment once it is safe to open our doors for regular dental appointments. In the meantime, if you’d like to schedule an upcoming dental visit for the summer or autumn months, please contact us at (205) 326-6384.