Modern dentistry is continually evolving as new and improved materials, techniques, and technology become available. One area that benefits from all these advancements is dental restorations like esthetic dental crowns in Birmingham, AL
You most likely know what a crown is, what it does, and how it protects your teeth. Your dentist uses a crown on a damaged tooth to absorb chewing forces and protect the compromised structure beneath it. But in modern dentistry, esthetics are equally important, and porcelain or ceramic crowns are a perfect choice that restores both function and appearance of your smile.
How Are Esthetic Crowns Used?
Dental porcelain is a translucent material that mimics the natural luster and sheen of dental enamel. And since crowns are designed to cover and protect a tooth, they are often used to improve your appearance:
- Fill in uneven gaps and spaces between teeth
- Cover a severely stained tooth that resists whitening
- Reshape or resize a tooth for a harmonious appearance
What’s the Process for Placing a Crown?
If you know what crowns do, you probably know how they work. Everyone has unique needs, but placing a crown is typically a three-step process:
- Decay or damage is removed, and the tooth is prepared to accommodate the new crown
- An impression is taken of the tooth that will be used to create a model that the dental lab uses to fabricate your crown, and you will wear a temporary crown while you wait.
- In about two weeks, you will return to your dentist to have the final crown adjusted for fit and cemented in place.
Please Call to Discuss Your Needs
If tooth damage or esthetics have you thinking about getting dental crowns in Birmingham, AL, please call Cook Family Dentistry to arrange a consultation. Dr. Aaron Cook will be happy to answer all your questions and make recommendations to restore your health and leave you with a smile that you love to show off.