Getting a New Dental Crown? Here’s What to Expect
Has your dentist told you recently that you need a new crown? It’s most likely because the tooth has been compromised in some way and requires a crown to strengthen and protect it.
You can think of a dental crown as a protective helmet for your teeth. A tooth-shaped ceramic jacket is designed to surround and enclose a damaged tooth to add strength, restore normal function, and improve your appearance.
Dental Crowns – 5 Steps to a Healthier Smile
Considering that dental crowns in Birmingham, AL are so beneficial, the process for placing them is surprisingly straightforward.
- Step 1: Call your dentist for an appointment to determine if a crown is the right treatment for your needs.
- Step 2: To prepare your tooth for the new crown, your dentist alters its shape and size, which allows enough space for it to look natural and fit properly.
- Step 3: Your dentist takes impressions of the prepared tooth to create a model. The model is used to fashion a temporary crown and then sent to a custom dental lab that fabricates your final crown. During this appointment, you’ll also select the shade of your restoration to ensure that it blends seamlessly with surrounding teeth.
- Step 4: When your dentist gets your new crown back from the lab in about two weeks, you return for a final visit to have the crown checked for fit and cemented in place.
- Step 5: Go out and enjoy your healthy new smile! If you care for your crown properly, you should get at least ten years’ service from it.
Call Cook Family Dental to Get Started
Fixing a damaged tooth right away is always better than waiting. If you think you need a dental crown in Birmingham, AL, please call Dr. Aaron Cook to arrange a consultation. He’ll evaluate your situation and let you know if a dental crown or other restoration is the right choice for you.